Saturday, March 1, 2014

ZAGGkeys Cover Bluetooth Keyboard: Working with Kindle Fire HDX 8.9



With so little options for a good keyboard to use, especially for the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, unless you're thinking of those you might find on Amazon. ZAGG has some very outstanding keyboards! As I use the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard with the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 to get work done...

As I was looking for a good keyboard to use with my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, I went through Amazon and really didn't like the keyboard cases that were available. I was looking for something that had great battery life, a good keyboard, though looking for something that is portable is sometimes limited. Then I remembered reading James Kendrick's post of the ZAGG keyboards that he had tested and is using for his iPad. That triggered me to look into the specs of the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard, so took a trip down to my local Best Buy to check it out.

What made me interested in the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard was that it has the ability to tilt the tablet as if it was a laptop. Yes, I am not trying to replace my laptop, but wanted to be able to have the ability to tilt the screen as different situations always arise. So as I was able to slide the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 in the slot, though keep in mind that the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 fits loose in the slot because around the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 is thinner on the outer edge than the iPad Air by quite a bit, but sits in without falling out as you use. Let's take a quick look at the ZAGGkeys Cover with the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and see if it's something that you would buy.


What I really like about the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard is that it has great travel when typing on the keys. The keyboard has bluetooth and paired without a hitch to my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. It took a few seconds and I was up and running and working on Word documents that required a lot of typing, but didn't justify me taking my Surface Pro 2 with me. This small setup has come to be a great portable working station. The second great thing about the ZAGGkeys Cover is the back lighted keys. Yes this also is great when those times that require you to do work in low light situations. Not only can you have a back lit keyboard, but you can chose from three different brightness and chose from 7 different colors. 

The ZAGGkeys Cover features an island-style keyboard that has about 30% more typing space than most other keyboards on the market, yet it is about a quarter of an inch thin.
  • Length: 5.13 inches (130.3 mm)
  • Width: 8.13 inches (206.5 mm)
  • Depth: 0.25 inches (6.35 mm) closed
  • Weight: 13.6 ounces (385.56 grams)
  • Battery Duration: Several months of normal use without charging.







What I also have been able to do is, use TeamViewer and a Bluetooth mouse to remotely repair computers at the office and our Colorado project. With the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard and a bluetooth mouse, I can actually work easier by quickly typing changes or if I happen to leave a report back at the office and didn't sync it to one of my online cloud accounts I can work on it remotely. As you can see I happen to repair some deleted files in Outlook and while I wasn't at the office, I fired up my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and used the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard to do the work. I could also have done this without the ZAGGkeys cover keyboard which I have, but in this case I was also typing and editing a document on the remote computer which made the process that much easier.


Most keyboards for tablets have either a three position or maybe just when position where you can set the angle of the tablet and if you are like me, this is okay but, there is those times that those set positions just don't work. With the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard this is not a problem. There is one negative using the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard with the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9. It is not too bad, but you must manually tilt by hand the slot if you want to tilt the tablet forward. This due to the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 being thinner and the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard not built for it. If the tablet is in the slot, you can tilt back without any problems and works great. I also was able to drop the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 in the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard in portrait mode, though it was kind of awkward but it worked. 


You can see that the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 slides right into the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard channel where normally the iPad Air would slide in perfectly, but in this case you can see the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 has a gap and doesn't have a tight fit like it should be. Even though you don't have a tight fit, it works great! Maybe ZAGG will look into producing a ZAGGkeys keyboard for the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 in the future, I know I would be purchasing it if this was the case. 


If you need to have the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 in a more straight up tilt position, it is no problem with the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard. 

I have been using Polaris Office and Officesuite Professional with the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard when I know that I will only be working on documents, email, web research and want to travel light. Those that might think the the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 is just for reading, the Kindle brings much more to the table then you might expect. The Kindle Fire HDX is so light weight, it almost fells like you are holding nothing but Air!

The only other negatives that I have come across, which this is basically due to the bluetooth in Android OS, is that at times the bluetooth can disconnect from the keyboard and I have had it happen to other bluetooth keyboards. Not a big issue for me as the keyboard reconnects on its own right away or I just flip the power switch off and on. 

I highly recommend anyone that has a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and are looking for a great keyboard, take a look at the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard for iPad Air. Yes this is made for the iPad Air but is working great with my Kindle Fire HDX. 


I had no issues writing up this post using the Kindle Fire HDX  and the ZAGGkeys Cover keyboard! 








...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,This is a wonderfully designed item and ought to work impeccably however it is inclined to double type letters.Others have remarked on this issue also.I didn't consider returning it in light of the fact that I don't expect to utilize it for records,however do must be extremely cautious to type significantly more daintily than on a laptop keyboard.This can be disappointing.Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>>.
Super Hero-Android Game

Unknown said...

Thank you for you comments about the ipad air keyboard working for the Kindle 8.9 I notice zagg has three "autofit" keyboards. The 10" adjusting from 7" up to 10.47" Do you know if it might fit any better than the one you mentioned for the ipad air. Although I really ddon't want one an inch and a half bigger than my kindle. I sure wish they would make the keyboard for an 8.9 kindle!!! My husband has the case for his ipad air and it is awesome. I want one SO SO much for my kindle!

trong vo dang said...

An interminable cluster of custom choices is not the main thing that makes our windows incredible, each window we offer is remarkably developed with a strong wood center for unsurpassed quality, strength and vitality effectiveness.