Sony announced the upgrade to the Xperia Z at IFA 2013 with the Xperia Z1. Sony has packed some real punch with the Xperia Z1 which is also packing a powerful camera. The Z1 will be competing with the Nokia Lumia 1020 and the 900 series Lumia's. As the consumers demand for better cameras on their phones and more power, the Xperia Z1 is no slouch with its Snapdragon 800 chipset and the 20.7MP camera with G Lens. We should expect some great shots, given the big 1/2.3 sensor, and with its great 5-inch display, you will be able to view those great shots.
Sony Xperia Z1:
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE, penta-band UMTS/HSPA, 100 Mbps LTE
- Water-resistant camera phone
- 144 x 74 x 8.5 mm, 170g
- 5" 16M-color 1080p (441ppi) capacitive touchscreen TFT Triluminous display with X-Reality and OptiContrast
- Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800, quad-core 2.2 GHz Krait 400, Adreno 330, 2GB
- Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
- 20.7MP camera with 1/2.3" Exmor RS sensor and Sony G Lens, F/2.0 aperture; 2MP front-facing camera
- Video camera with 1080p video capture and HDR mode
- Built-in 16GB storage, microSD card slot, up to 64GB
- Connectivity Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth 4.0, standard microUSB port with MHL and USB host, GPS receiver with A-GPS, 3.5mm audio jack, NFC
- Sealed battery - 3,000mAh battery
- Water resistant with IP58 certified - dust-sealed and water resistant beyond 1 meter; shatter proof and scratch-resistant glass for the front and the back panel, metal frame on the side
The solid one-piece aluminum frame on the Sony Xperia Z1 gives it that great classy look, and the with round edges should make it very comfortable to hold in your hand.
If you are the type that likes to bring your phone to pool party's, you'll be glad to hear that the Sony Xperia Z1 can withstand 30 minutes underwater at 1.5 meters deep. This will also come in handy on a rainy day, if you happen to need to take a picture.
When the Sony Xperia Z1 becomes available globally in September, it will be running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. This is what most non Google device are running, which in other words, is the latest OS that you can find.
The Sony Xperia Z1 is also taller and wider than the current Samsung Galaxy S4, but still will be very easy to slip into your pant pocket without thinking about it twice.